Friday, February 13, 2015

Houston Avenue Bar and Grill


After a long week at work, sometimes all you want to do is sit down, grab a drink, and eat. Okay fine, that's me every day.


And last Friday was no exception. I visited Houston, located on the corner of Yonge and Wellington, for dinner for their Winterlicious set menu. The restaurant itself is very spacious with a dining area, bar area, and an elevated middle area. We were seated on their elevated middle dining area right next to the bar.



Crispy Calamari | seasoned calamari, fennel tzatziki


House Caesar | heart of romaine, homemade crouton, bacon, parmesan, roasted garlic vinaigrette


Prime Rib | 12oz. dry aged prime rib, mashed potato, seasonal vegetable, horseradish crème fraîche, au jus

I also ordered their Houston Caesar, which was a mix of gin, cucumber chilli lime juice, clamato, tobasco and worchestershire.



Strawberry Tiramisu | served with strawberry compote


The appetizers were alright - nothing outstanding. The prime rib was true to it's size!! It was massive, cooked to medium rare like I had asked, and very juicy. The only thing that I wasn't very happy about was that it wasn't hot. It was more on the coldish-warm side, which was unfortunate as the plate was really hot. The strawberry tiramisu was good though - a nice sweet ending to the meal.

Since I came here on a Friday, they had an in-house DJ and it was very loud. I guess it didn't help since I sat literally right next to the bar and everyone was yelling at each other over the music. The service wasn't good either. My waitress was not attentive and threw things down at the table at us. So overall, it was a 'meh' experience. Although I would not mind coming back for the food, the negligent service I got has pushed Houston down my list of go-to places in the Financial District.

Houston Ave. Bar & Grill on Urbanspoon
Share:
© Sincerely, KN | Toronto Food & Lifestyle Blog | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig