Monday, August 01, 2016

JaBistro's Rooftop Patio is now OPEN!


This past week, I got the opportunity to dine at one of my favourite sushi spots in Toronto. JaBistro (@jabistro222) has been a traditional Japanese fine dining restaurant since Noevmber 2012. Located on Richmond Street, just west of University, it's just steps away from the hustle and bustle of the Financial District.

It has a very cozy atmosphere, as there are only a number of tables in the main dining area. However, JaBistro has recently finished renovating (!) their upstairs rooftop patio! It's gorgeous up there - with string lights, beautiful wood everything, and more seating. It is definitely a more casual feel upstairs, and I love it! It's perfect for summer.



During my visit, I was provided with a tasting menu that, in my opinion, showcased the best of JaBistro in 4 simple courses. Keep reading to see what we had!
- -
Course 1 - Sashimi Platter
Salmon (Canada), Tai Sea Bream (Japan), Akami Blue Fin Tuna Loin (Japan), & Wagyu Beef (U.S.) with an addition a piece of fried fish bone.
-
I absolutely love sashimi, and it was no doubt that I only wanted more after this platter! Salmon will always be my favourite, but blue fin tuna will come in as a close second. The wagyu beef was also very delicious. You're given two in-house soy sauces to dip your pieces into. Don't forget to cheers your date - sashimi cheers are a thing, don't you know?



---
Course 2 - Appetizer Platter
Kanpachi Kama (Fish Collar) from Japan, Ebi Nanban (Battered Tiger Shrimp), Ika (Calamari), & Lobster Miso Soup
-
Served on, literally, a platter, we were presented with a beautiful piece of a kanpachi kama, which stole the show. This is the first time I've had fish collar like this, and I have to say it was really good. You eat it with a bit radish, put a little bit of the red sprinkles on it, and dip it in the soy sauce. At least... That's what I did, and it was delicious. The only thing wrong with it is that I wanted more!

---
Course 3 - Chef's Selection of Nigiri
Hamachi (Yellowtail) from Japan, Chu Toro (Medium Fatty Tuna Belly) from Japan, Lobster (Halifax), Salmon Oshizushi, Saba (Mackerel) Oshizushi, Ebi (Tiger Shrimp) Oshizushi, and my favourite JaBistroll (salmon, snow crab, uni, cucumber, tobiko).
-
Each piece was already painted by the chefs of JaBistro with soy sauce, so you are meant to just eat it as is. As a soy sauce lover, the first time I came to JaBistro, I was like 'what' 'no' 'no way' 'I need soy sauce', but I'm grown since then :') these was so delicious, I'm happy I ate them how they were supposed to be eaten this time around! JaBistro is also known for their oshizushi, which is a torched, pressed sushi rectangle, as you can see pictured in a couple pictures below. My favourite is the salmon, but we also got a taste of the saba and ebi oshizushi. And to finish, my favourite roll in all of Toronto, the JaBistroll. Stuffed with some of my favourite sushi ingredients and rolled with seaweed and rice, I could eat this all day. If you haven't tried the JaBistroll yet, you're honestly missing out.

---
Course 4 - Dessert
A matcha mousse cake with a mango sorbet
-
Talking about a sweet ending to a meal, this is it. The matcha mousse was very light, and the strawberries were lil bursts of sweetest when eaten together. The mango sorbet was my favourite though. It was super refreshing, and so mango-y! I loved it, and was low key really happy that my date, Krystle, didn't like it so I could also have her share. Muahaha.


I never knew JaBistro had a rooftop patio, to be honest. I've only gone during the winter months so I never noticed. I'm happy I finally got a chance to eat on their patio. It's honestly gorgeous up there, with so many 'clean lines', as Krystle mentioned. You can't go wrong with the food here (I mean, really? It's some of the best sushi you'll find in Toronto). Patio drinks after work, anyone?! 


JaBistro Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

*This meal was complimentary, however, please note that all my opinions made are my own.*
Share:
© Sincerely, KN | Toronto Food & Lifestyle Blog | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig