Friday, November 11, 2016

Taste of Iceland 2016



Taste of Iceland has returned to Toronto for November 11 to 13th, and I couldn't be more excited! Last year, I got to dine at Luma where I got the chance to feast and meet Chef Ylfa Helgadóttir. You can read about that here. And earlier this year, I actually visited Iceland (travel guide here) and had so much fun that I am already planning for a trip back!
-
This year, Executive Chef Sigurður Helgason of Radisson Blu Saga and Grillið Restaurant hand Chef de Cuisine Miheer Shete from Jump Restaurant have teamed up to create a four-course menu for Toronto. I actually stayed at Radisson Blu Saga when I visited Iceland, so I think it's super cool for him to be in Toronto now cooking for us!

↑ Photo credit: Jenna Marie Wakani

We were welcomed at Jump Restaurant's private dining area with an glass of iced mulled wine with Brennivin, a popular Icelandic liquor. The last time I had it was when I was eating purified shark, and it was not very pleasant haha. It tasted much better with wine than by itself, & that's all I can say about it! Shortly after, we had a mini private concert with music from Axel Flóvent and CeaseTone! *swoon* They will both be performing at Saturday's Reykjavik Calling concert, for those interested in music.

↑ Photo credit: Jenna Marie Wakani

We started off our dinner with one of my favourite dishes of the night: an arctic char topped with char roe, oyster emulsion, cucumber, crisp rye bread, & dill vinaigrette. I had lots of fun popping the roe while enjoying the arctic char. Next up was the cod, another one of my favourite dishes. Presented with cauliflower three ways, dulse, & cress in beurre noisette vinaigrette, this cod dish was great with the chardonnay from NP Wines.

Icelandic free-range lamb was our next dish, and I could only wish we had more! I remember distinctly that lamb was my favourite dish last year, and also my favourite dish when I actually visited Iceland. The grilled filet of lamb was very tasty, and I also enjoyed the sides of potato, kale, and celeriac puree. The syrah was a lovely pairing to this lamb dish. To end off this delicious meal, we were presented with a white chocolate brownie with a skyr ganach, bilberry sorbet, & meringue. What a fabulous tasting menu created by these two chefs! I highly recommend stopping by Jump to give this exclusive menu a taste. Please note that this menu is only available until November 13th!



↑ Photo credit: Jenna Marie Wakani


- -

In addition to this tasting menu available at Jump this weekend, there are a number of other activities going on. You can read about it here. But one that I should highlight is that on Sunday, November 13th, you can enjoy "An Evening in Iceland" at Jump with live musical performances in addition to a four-course dinner with wine pairings that highlights traditional Icelandic flavours, aka everything you just read about above :)!! Be sure to check out #TasteofIceland for more pictures from this weekend!
Share:
© Sincerely, KN | Toronto Food & Lifestyle Blog | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig