Sunday, November 27, 2016

Decoding The Glenlivet Cipher


When I got the chance to attend a tasting of one of the world's most mysterious whisky, my FOMO kicked in and I had to go check it out for myself. The Glenlivet released a new mysterious single malt with no cask info or tasting notes: The Glenlivet Cipher. What a beautiful, opaque bottle to match such a mysterious whisky!


We were greeted at SpiritHouse with three puzzles that we had to solve before we could go enter into the tasting room. Although it was a rough start, we ended up solving all three puzzles with 8 minutes to spare - woohoo!


Walking into the tasting room, we were greeted by Ian the Guardian, who walked us through the tasting. We were given iPads that got us to choose the first 6 aromas that we smelled and the 6 flavours that we tasted. After choosing what we thought The Glenlivet Cipher was made up of, we submitted our answers and was scored accordingly. I got... 51%! I'm happy I just passed, and was also very happy we were rewarded with another dram and some bites to eat.


What a very interesting tasting! Instead of a huge discussion where everyone discussed their thoughts on the liquid at hand, I really enjoyed the fact that this tasting was more personalized. Everyone got to enjoy it on their own terms and your taste buds weren't influenced by anyone else's thoughts. This is indeed a very mysterious whisky and I can't wait to compare my notes to the tasting notes when it is released!

The Glenlivet Cipher is available at a select number of LCBO stores with limited quantity. If you see it on a shelf, I would suggest picking it up! For now, brb. I will be on a hunt to get my own bottle.

Share:
© Sincerely, KN | Toronto Food & Lifestyle Blog | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig