Wednesday, February 27, 2013 / Toronto, ON, Canada

» Lee Restaurant & SpiritHouse

 

Microsoft GNO's are officially becoming a monthly event.
- - -
For dinner, we headed to Lee Restaurant, by none other but Susur Lee.
I've been hearing soo many good things about it from various people, so we decided to check it out.
Finding the restaurant was a little difficult, as the exterior looked quite sketch.. But once you're inside, it's a whole other ambiance. (I'm really all about the ambiance now eh?)
We decided to order dishes and just share it.
First up, the Singaporean-style Slaw.
 What better way to describe what this special dish is except by Susur Lee himself.
"Singapore Slaw features 19 different ingredients including edible pansies, daikon, tropical ginger, pickled onions, tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, daikon sprouts, cilantro sprouts, toasted sesame seeds, red onion, rice vermicelli, crushed roasted peanuts, fennel and hazelnuts. It’s crowned with a birds nest of taro and tossed with salted plum dressing."
In addition to explaining to us exactly what was in the dish (which they do it for everything you order), they tossed it right in front of us to ensure it was fresh.
 And here is the aftermath. 
We got the Slaw with a side of Salmon Sashimi (it's a good choice, btw) for extra texture.
However, I did not enjoy with this dish as I thought I would have! Maybe it's because soo many people hyped it up for me, but after eating a couple bites, it just didn't taste as good. I feel like it was because it was a little too saucy, and the sauce was really sweet.

Next we got the Lump Crab Cake, which is a spiced tamarind, papaya & celery salad that is mashed into a ball, served with smoked chili mayo on the side.
I was expecting a lot more than just 1 serving, especially since it was quite pricey. It was quite bland if you didn't have some of the mayo with it. This was my least favorite dish of the night.

Last but definitely not least, the Peking & Char Sui Duck.
 Hands down, the best dish. By far. EVER.
I'm Asian so it's probably in my blood to love Peking Duck. But this?! NUMS. I can't even think about it too much right now or else my stomach will grumble. Am I being a little over dramatic? Yeah, probably but it was honestly amazing.
For those that don't know what Peking Duck is.. You basically have a thin crepe-like dough where you put the duck and all the other ingredients into. Then you drizzle some of the oyster sauce on top and wrap it up. *drools*
I don't remember what each ingredient was.. But not like that matters. You can't recreate this dish anywhere.
So please do yourself a favor and head over to Lee to try this dish out.
Unreal.
 - - -
After dinner, we decided to head over to Bier Markt since it was right across the street. Fortunately it was really packed, so we got to adventure off to SpiritHouse.
Not much to say about this place because I don't know too much but I would definitely come here again.
Mojito
Mixed Berry Bellinis

 It was really busy as well (given it was a Friday night and it was getting a little late), so we didn't even have seats at the bar! Sadtimes. So we just stayed there for a while to talk and I just had a great time listening and talking about random things with my girls.
And to end off the night, we would obviously decide to go to Starbucks. Back to my building on King and Yonge we go, since I knew my Starbucks (yes... It is my Starbucks) was still open.
Lee Restaurant on UrbanspoonSpirithouse on Urbanspoon
- - -
Ahh just writing this post makes me miss them already. What a great night!!! Can't wait for our next GNO with these girls. Definitely have a soft spot for them. Xo
sincerely,
kn
Share:
© Sincerely, KN | Toronto Food & Lifestyle Blog | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig